Most of us love going out and buying ourselves clothes, shoes, bags, accessories, or anything that takes our fancy. It is a pleasurable activity, no doubt, but an expensive one. Sometimes we look for reasons to indulge ourselves in a bit of retail therapy. And very often we come away with things we really do not need, or even worse, that look awful the next day. Then you wonder what made you even think it looked good! Maybe a friend encouraged you to buy it? Maybe you got it at a bargain price. Whatever the reason, it is time to get sensible about what you end up buying and why.
Before you step out the next time to drop by a mall, think on these things:
• Take a little tour of your wardrobe; reacquaint yourself with what you have.
• Now, make a list of what you need. If you are on a budget, keep the list to essentials.
• If you are the sort of person who keeps an eye out for bargains or sales, plan out where you need to head with your list, to get the best out of your money.
• Talking about money, it would be useful to keep in mind that it is hard earned money and spending it on frivolities would not be the best way to use it.
• Still on the subject of money, do make an approximate budget of what you want to spend and withdrawal that amount. It is better to pay in cash than by card. Plastic money can make you lose track of your expenditure. Needless to point out, too, the killing interest rates charged by credit card companies.
• If you plan to buy clothes online, one smart way to do it is to check out your favorite brands. If there is something you have your eye on, go try it on in a nearby store to see if it looks good on you before you order it online.
• However, if you are headed to the store, make it a point to check out the back of the store, you might be in for a surprise. Something you had been eyeing earlier that was displayed in the front of the store may be marked down to an unbelievable discount there.
If you follow these simple guidelines, you will find you have managed to keep to your budget and the need to deal with post shopping guilt is done away with.