The success of landscaping a garden mostly relies on the plants being utilized, since they are basically what make up the garden. And there are many kinds of plants available for garden usage, like creepers, trees, shrubs, annuals, perennials, herbs, cactus and succulents. For this article, let us talk about creepers – any vine plants that creep on the ground and crawl on walls, pergolas, arches, porches, trellises, pillars, and arbours. Generally, creepers are good ground covers. Below are some examples of creeper plants that can be used as ground covers.
1. Creeping Thyme – is commonly called “walk on me” plant because it is usually planted as ground covers between steeping stones, on the patios and on the areas near the base of rockery. It is abundant with tiny, aromatic leaves and its flowers vary from stunning white to crimson or pink. This plant is one of those easy to grow plants because it can survive with little or no care at all.
2. Trailing Myrtle – is also known as periwinkle. This creeper is a perennial and it has waxy, evergreen leaves. It can have white or pink flowers with aromatic blue-black berries.
3. Golden star – is herbaceous plant that blooms in spring and can continue blooming in summer. It has scalloped leaves and yellow flowers. This plant can form mat on the ground (for 4 inches high, it can spread 1 foot wide).
4. Plumbago – is known to be the perfect ground cover because it is one of the easiest to grow plants. It can grow in all conditions and its blue flowers bloom into clusters like a peacock.
5. Carpet grass – this grass is good ground cover because it grows better than other grasses in low, wet soil and in either sunny or shady areas. This is a perennial grass with coarse leaves. The only problem with this grass is during drought or dry season because it will need frequent watering.
Those are the common examples of creeping plants that gardeners used in their gardens. As ground covers, the creepers on your ground will add beautiful backdrop to the plants in your garden. Aside from that, these creepers will also crowd out weeds and because they are compact, they will choke out grasses. Thus, creepers do not only add beauty to your garden, they also maintain the clean and neat look of your garden. The choice of which creepers to be use is dependent on your garden design. Should you need to have an attractive and beautiful garden with the right design, you can hire professional landscapers to help you make your garden.