Dating back to ancient times, birthstone rings were given as a means to overcome obstacles associated with the month an individual was born. In addition, they were also intended to bring good luck and accentuate one’s positive attributes while minimizing any character flaws. In modern times, birthstone rings are given to celebrate special holidays, such as birthdays or Valentine’s day, and are even given as engagement rings.
Every month of the calendar year has an associated gemstone, each holding a special meaning. There have been many different sets of birthstones used throughout history and in different cultures. In in an effort to standardize them, the American national association of jewelers, officially adopted the following list; which is currently the most widely used list in the U.S. and many other locations. Shown below are modern birthstones. Alternate and traditional birthstones are not listed.
– September’s birthstone is a sapphire. Sapphires symbolize sincerity.
– October’s birthstone is opal. Opal represents beauty and happiness.
– November’s birthstone is Yellow Topaz which symbolizes cheerfulness and youth
– December’s birthstone jewelry is blue topaz. Blue topaz represents strength
– January;s birthstone is garnet. Garnet represents prosperity.
– February’s birthstone is amethyst which is said to increase wisdom and intelligence
– March’s birthstone is aquamarine. Aquamarine symbolizes happiness and understanding
– April’s birthstone is diamonds. Diamonds symbolize eternal love and faith.
– May’s birthstone is emeralds. Emerald symbolizes fidelity and goodness.
– June’s birthstone is pearls. Pears represent chastity.
– July’s birthstone is rubies. Rubies stand for devotion and good health.
– August’s birthstone is the peridot which stands for dignity and success.